Sunday, April 10, 2011

Survivors…..

Last summer, Carrie and I traveled to Hawaii.  One of the highpoints of our trip was our morning at Pearl Harbor.  I had visited the site 25 years ago, and I couldn’t wait to share the experience with Carrie.   All these years later, and now being the mother of a veteran – it bothered me more this time.  It meant more to me this time. 

IMG_3446

We picked up our tickets for the specified shuttle out to the memorial and then spent a little time wandering through the gift shop and visiting the exhibits.  As we came around the corner, we saw a small group of people gathered around a table and as we approached, we saw this sign.

IMG_3460

We soon learned that one morning each week, a small group of survivors come to the site for one hour and meet with visitors and sign autographs.  Each of them had a copy of their bio, along with what they doing that morning. 

These men had to all be in their 90’s.  I asked one of them, how many survivors were left on the island.  He told me, but he said that only a handful of them were physically able to make this weekly visit.

IMG_3463

I wanted so badly to give him a hug.  I told him that I was the mother of a veteran of the war in Iraq, and he immediately wrote a message of “thanks” on his bio sheet for my son.  Sixty years divided them in age, but they were linked by something greater.

2 comments:

discount wedding dresses said...

wholesale wedding dresses Many dresses that she wore as ball gowns become popular wedding dresses wedding party dresses And also the dresses she wore in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s become a style inspiration wholesale wedding dresses If you want a vintage dress inspired by the dresses Audrey Hepburn wore bridal gowns you can add a personal touch to make the dress more stunning such as a chapel train short dresses and full skirts which is cssic bridesmaid dresses Of the two dresses that Hepburn did wear one is held in the Givenchy archives designer wedding dresses I think every woman should take lessons of style and grace from Audrey evening dresses

Anonymous said...


The pearl necklace is adorable! I would love to have my pearl necklace wear that. I love the black pearl set, really wish we sent for it since it's sooo cute! big hoop earrings we bought about 1.5 months in advance since she probably won't grow too much in that time period.